Eldar Resplendent
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tactics for Mantle of the Laughing God

5 posters

Go down

Tactics for Mantle of the Laughing God Empty Tactics for Mantle of the Laughing God

Post by thejamppa Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:55 pm

Ok, its pretty obvious that Farseer on Jetbike with Mantle of laughing God and put unit 6 or more Jetbikes is hiliriously resistant to incoming fire, except those that ignore cover. So far de facto usage for Mantle.

However I was thinking some other uses for Mantle of Laughing God:

Autarch with Banshee Mask and Firesabre with unit of Banshees. 4+ cover in bare terrain 3+ to 2+ cover solves their foot slogging problems. Still bane of marines. Banshee mask now confers 3" fleet so they fleet D6+3". This sounds viable but I must test this later. Still farseer on Jetbike is... good Very Happy

Rangers no longer good? Take Autarch with with Mantle and Uldanorethi Long RIfle. No need to get Illic and costly path finder upgrade to get 2+ cover for unit of rangers. 10 rangers and Autarch that way. Its fun, no competitive but fun. Works nicely against slow army like Terminator / Paladin Grey Knights and Deathwing Formations.
thejamppa
thejamppa
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Tactics for Mantle of the Laughing God Empty Re: Tactics for Mantle of the Laughing God

Post by Maugan Ra Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:27 pm

The only problem I can see with this is that Mantle removes the Independent Character rule, meaning that the Autarch can't join Banshees or Rangers.

I don't have my codex with me right now, but I thought that was how it worked.

I always tend to take the Banshee mask on my Autarch, so what about an Autarch with mantle on a bike with the Banshee Mask and the Firesabre? Even if it can't join another unit it's going to draw a lot of fire, meaning you lose less from other units, or it's going to annihilate absolutely anything in its way.
Maugan Ra
Maugan Ra
Phoenix Lord

Back to top Go down

Tactics for Mantle of the Laughing God Empty Re: Tactics for Mantle of the Laughing God

Post by thejamppa Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:21 pm

Dang, you're right. Hmm, I always kinda somehow thought rules would turn character more like unit upgrade... rather than unit of his own. Oh, well, seems like Mantle is best with farseer with jetbike alone. Would have been nice if he would have been able to join unit Razz
thejamppa
thejamppa
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Adhemar Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:44 pm

I actually think the Autarch is a better option for the Mantle. Equip him with a Laser Lance and Banshee Mask and he becomes a one-man army on the charge. Plus he gets better use out of Hit & Run and it leaves the Farseer to join other units who will benefit from his buffs.

Count Adhemar

Back to top Go down

Post by Evil Space Elves Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:28 am

It is a curious piece of wargear that seems to be a tool for making a Solitaire. Do all of you see the HQ as more of a harassment unit than one that will make its points back?
Evil Space Elves
Evil Space Elves
Good Little Space Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by thejamppa Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:21 am

Or just plain nasty: Autarch + Jetbike + Reaper launcher on autarch is just plain mean and he can stay out most of the game out of enemy range unlike with laser lance. You can really frustrate your opponent . Just fly regularly to get 2+ cover and let jetbikes relentless do the miracle with the reaper launcher Very Happy

ESE: COnsidering that its the harlequins that bring the mantle, its more than likely that is tool for Solitaire, since solitaire did not return in this edition. But yeah, I agree with you.
thejamppa
thejamppa
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Adhemar Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:33 pm

I still have the old Harlequin Jetbike so might dust it off and use it as an Autarch with Mantle.

Count Adhemar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dogmar Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:56 am

While I see the idea behind the solitaire as a durable combat character I think the mantle's abilities favor a harassment type character way more. Hit and Run, rerollable cover save makes the unit more annoying than threatening really, although there are some nice tricks we can put on our autarch to make him useful. Wouldn't design him as a CC monster though, other races do that far, far better.

I have to make a point for the farseer though. While he doesn't really benefit from hit and run the bikes mobility lets him pump out his buffs wherever they are needed most on the battle field and 3+ armor, 4++ invul and 2++ rerollable cover is plain nasty to get rid of, especially with T4 on the bike. He's actually easier to kill when in a unit. Not sure if that would be the result of plain math hammering, but a unit is easier to target because of a larger footprint and maybe being infantry.
Dogmar
Dogmar
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by thejamppa Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:06 am

I am considering Autarch with Mantle on Jetbike armed with Shard of Anaris and Reaper launcher my reasoning: Relentless combined bs 7 and precision shots make him annoying sniper esoecially with reaper launcher which also gives him alot reaching distance. He only needs to move that 12" to get that 2+  rerollable cover. He is really annoying as he can keep his distance: move 12" shoot and as he is eldar jetbike if you do not assault, in assault turn you can move 2d6" so without turbo boosting (for those who haven't yet read big rule book under unit types there's spefici rules for Eldar jetbikes ;)I know I've missed it till this week ) he is really fast, really annoying sniper. He is easy outflank and with reaper launcher he will make short work of enemy heavy supports like devastators, havoc's or command units and generally anything not in terminator / artificieer armor in 2 or 3 turns if not taken care.

I mean I like lance as anyone but he is dead in water (espeically if you do not give him back up weapon or vaul's artifact if he cannot kill his opponent when charging in. Therefore I think best way would be giving him long range fire power... But that is due my dices roll sucky...
thejamppa
thejamppa
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Adhemar Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:50 pm

thejamppa wrote:I mean I like lance as anyone but he is dead in water (espeically if you do not give him back up weapon or vaul's artifact if he cannot kill his opponent when charging in

Don't forget he gets Hit & Run so he can leave combat at the end of any assault phase and benefit from his rerollable cover save in the next shooting phase.

Count Adhemar

Back to top Go down

Post by thejamppa Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:16 am

Count Adhemar wrote:
thejamppa wrote:I mean I like lance as anyone but he is dead in water (espeically if you do not give him back up weapon or vaul's artifact if he cannot kill his opponent when charging in

Don't forget he gets Hit & Run so he can leave combat at the end of any assault phase and benefit from his rerollable cover save in the next shooting phase.

That is true. Very true.
thejamppa
thejamppa
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum