Eldar Resplendent
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eldar Grav Tank sprues

3 posters

Go down

Eldar Grav Tank sprues Empty Eldar Grav Tank sprues

Post by Dogmar Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:24 am

Sooo, with the Wave Serpent moving to direct only and me being notoriously tight on money (sometimes being a student sucks Very Happy) I'm looking for ways to explore the conversion opportunities of the eldar grav tanks.

I've seen quite a cool video where someone converted a fireprism to a waveserpent and magnetized the weapons in a way that he could still play it as a prism. And having a manned gun turret looks absolutely badass for a serpent.

The big questions are:
-are there the serpent shield things on the regular falcon / prism sprue. You know the things protruding from the front wings.
-is there a sufficient amount of secondary weapons in the fireprism sprue so that I can make it a Waveserpent?
-if not, is there enough parts for all of that in the Falcon kit?

I know they're normally more expensive than the serpent, but at a discount I'm still saving money and have a pretty neat looking conversion, although making a falcon to a serpent is not as cool as converting a prism since it has a manned turret.

I'm sure you have one of the kits somewhere, tell me what's in it.
Dogmar
Dogmar
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Eldar Grav Tank sprues Empty Re: Eldar Grav Tank sprues

Post by Evil Space Elves Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:28 am

Dogmar wrote:
The big questions are:
-are there the serpent shield things on the regular falcon / prism sprue. You know the things protruding from the front wings.
-is there a sufficient amount of secondary weapons in the fireprism sprue so that I can make it a Waveserpent?
-if not, is there enough parts for all of that in the Falcon kit?

1. No, the Wave Serpent shield things are only on the Wave Serpent sprue. This includes the extended hull for passengers as well.
2. The Fire Prism kit does not come with any additional heavy weapons outside of the bottom mounted shuriken cannon.
3. the Falcon sprue does have one Scatter Laser on it, and the heavy weapons sprue that somes with it also has one each of the weapon options meaning that you could make a twin scatter laser, but none of the other options. the Falcon would probably be your best bet of the two, though it is $5 USD more than the Wave Serpent....

You might be able to trade for the weapons that you want?
Evil Space Elves
Evil Space Elves
Good Little Space Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Dogmar Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:47 pm

There is always ways to obtain bitz, I didn't put that much thought into it already, the idea simply came up, because I knew the skyray rocket tank kit from the tau comes with a hammerhead turret as well (at least before the new dex it did), meaning you effectively have both options at no additional cost.

If I can get ahold of enough heavy weapon bits I might as well go with the Prism conversion as it looks cooler. If not though I think I'll have to stick with GW direct only waveserpents and wait a couple weeks for them to arrive... meh.

What weapon options would I need by the way? I thought TL-Scatter and Shuri-Cannon is pretty much as good as it gets.
Dogmar
Dogmar
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Evil Space Elves Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:09 am

I'm quite pleased with TL Bright Lances now that they are a 5pt upgrade Shocked  and BS4 is in play.

You might just try good old Ebay for Wave Serpents. I haven't searched for them recently, but most 40k stuff can be had for 20% off retail with free shipping.
Evil Space Elves
Evil Space Elves
Good Little Space Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Dogmar Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:12 am

There are few direct buy offers on the German ebay, most are people selling off old armies and after a traumatic event with second hand minis the only thing I'm going to buy painted is metal models. Throw them in a glass full of thinner and watch chemistry do what it does. Everything else new or unpainted... which is considerably harder to find.

I might scour ebay for bits though. Since I need a prism anyway I'll just have a look at it's convertability. The serpent with a piloted turret idea just bit me Very Happy
Dogmar
Dogmar
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Evil Space Elves Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:07 am

I actually considered making a Firestorm our of a Fire Prism turret until I sat and actually looked at the rules Evil or Very Mad 
Evil Space Elves
Evil Space Elves
Good Little Space Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Dogmar Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:54 pm

What is a Firestorm? I can find the kit but not the datasheet on FW. Looks very cool, but would be quite a lot of work starting with a prism. you'd have to carve out a lot to make the gun barrel able to tilt up and down.
Dogmar
Dogmar
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Saintspirit Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:13 pm

Supposedly, the rules for the Firestorm can be found in one of the IA books (not completely sure which one). In any case, I don't think it is possible to download nowadays.
Saintspirit
Saintspirit
The Dolorous Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Evil Space Elves Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:27 am

It's in IA11.
It's basically a Falcon (transport capacity of 6) with a twin-linked long barreled scatter laser. (60" range, Heavy 6) It also has Skyfire and Interceptor, but starts at 180 pts.
Evil Space Elves
Evil Space Elves
Good Little Space Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Dogmar Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:38 am

Still S6 I suppose. Doesn't seem worth it especially with that hefty price tag. If you had a spare falcon I think you could convert one though. The falcon turret really looks better suited for that kind of conversion than the prism one.
Dogmar
Dogmar
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Evil Space Elves Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:33 am

Dogmar wrote:Still S6 I suppose. Doesn't seem worth it especially with that hefty price tag. If you had a spare falcon I think you could convert one though. The falcon turret really looks better suited for that kind of conversion than the prism one.

It really is too many points, though it would be fairly effective against light flyers (ours Evil or Very Mad  ) I have a hard time justifying the point cost when you can take a Nightwing fighter for 35 pts less Razz  Corsairs can possibly make room for it with it being a Heavy choice where the only other real viable option for them is the Warp Hunter (which is 55pts less!)

I agree that the Falcon would make a better base for the conversion, especially if you are trying to get it to elevate. I thought the Fire Prism turret would work only because you could make a slightly larger array of Scatter Laser goodness on the front of the FP turret.
Evil Space Elves
Evil Space Elves
Good Little Space Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down